If your gutter system on your home is leaking, it cannot perform and do the job they are meant to do.
A leaky gutter system can be very stressful for homeowners. When your gutters are leaking, they can no longer effectively nor efficiently direct rainwater away from your house. This can lead to a myriad of issues, including water damage to the interior and exterior of your home, erosion, and foundational issues. Thankfully, knowing what to look for and understanding the common causes and reasons for leaky gutters can significantly reduce the chances of leaks and other issues.
Continue reading to learn more about the common reasons gutters leak.
Why Is My Gutter System Leaking?
- Older Gutters — While leaks can occur on new gutters, you’re more likely to find leaks in an aging system. This is likely because the gutter sections are sealed to each other or screwed to one another. With each passing storm, the sealant deteriorates, and the screws are loosened or fall out. Thankfully, in many cases, you can close up holes and other leaks with a silicone waterproof sealant, extending the life of your gutters.
- Clogged Gutters — One of the most common causes of leaky gutters (and, luckily, one of the easiest to fix!) is clogged gutters. Homeowners that avoid and postpone the seemingly daunting and tedious task of cleaning out their gutter system often find themselves dealing with leaks. Clogged gutters lead to overflows and leaks that can run down the sides of your house and lead to significant damage.
- Damaged Gutters — Season after season, your gutters endure plenty of wear and tear, which inevitably lead to leaks, holes, and other damage. Plenty of the damage that occurs can be fixed yourself. However, larger holes, breaks, and more significant damage should be handled by a professional that knows what they’re doing.
How to Avoid a Leaky Gutter System
Thankfully, avoiding a leaky gutter system is relatively easy — all it takes is a little time and dedication:
- Clean your gutters whenever necessary and, at the very least, twice each year
- Inspect for damage after every major storm
- Check for loose sections and screws
- Make necessary repairs sooner rather than later
- Invest in leaf guards and ice and snow melt systems
Contact M & M Gutters & Exteriors for All of Your Gutter System Needs
If the gutter system on your Northern Utah home needs some care and attention, contact the experts for all things gutters and exteriors at M & M Gutters & Exteriors.
Intense winds and extreme storms can wreak havoc on your gutters and, with regular care and maintenance, your system can handle the beating. Whether your home is new construction, a remodel, or your home is simply ready for an upgrade, our knowledgeable and experienced can help! Not only that, but we also specialize in commercial buildings, apartments, government buildings, and more. Contact the pros at M & M Gutters today
We proudly serve Utah County, Salt Lake County, Davis County, Weber County, Summit County, and surrounding areas.