If your gutters are leaky, sagging, or cracked, it could be time for a new gutter system. Keep reading to find out why new gutters are so vital.
Gutters play an essential role in keeping your home functioning at its best. They are responsible for directing water away from the exterior walls of your home, doors, windows, and foundation, preventing water from getting inside your house. It’s essential to take care of your gutters and clean them periodically to ensure they last as long as possible. Even with regular care and maintenance, you will need to repair or replace your gutters at some point to make sure your home stays protected.
Here are the five signs you should look for that indicate that you need to replace your gutters.
Your Home Needs a New Gutter System if You Notice
To help determine when your home needs new gutters, keep your eye out for the following warning signs:
- Sagging Gutters — One of the easiest ways to tell your house gutters need some TLC is when your gutter system begins to sag or pull away from your roofline. Gutters that are in well-working order should never pull away or sag from your house. Sagging and pulling can signify that your gutters are full of water and are drooping due to the weight. This could require basic repairs or, if significant damage has occurred, your house may need a whole new system.
- Cracks and Leaks — Cracks and leaks in your gutters are obviously a concern — even small cracks and leaks can lead to big problems. The tiniest crack can quickly turn into a large crack and cause significant damage to your home fascia boards, foundation, and your home’s exterior materials.
- Pooling Water at the Base of Your Home — The main job of a gutter system is to direct water away from your property’s foundation. Pooling water at your home’s foundation can lead to serious, costly issues. If you noticed water pooling near your foundation, this could indicate that your gutter system is not working correctly. This problem could be caused by something as simple as a clog or a defect in the entire gutter system. Either way, it’s crucial to address it right away.
- Peeling Paint and Orange Flecks — Painted gutters are built to withstand the seasons’ elements and general wear and tear. However, once gutters become old, you’ll find that the paint on your gutters begins to peel off, and bits of orange flecks appear from the beginning stages of rust thanks to a constant presence of water. This typically means water is not moving through your gutters as it should, indicating that it might be time for a new gutter system.
- Water Damage and Water Marks — On a sunny, at least once a year, check for water damage and watermarks just below your gutters. Finding either of these could indicate that your gutter system is leaking or overflowing, which can cause expensive damage to the exterior of your home.
Need a New Gutter System? Contact M & M Gutters & Exteriors
If your Northern Utah home needs a new gutter system or requires repairs, contact the pros at M & M Gutters & Exteriors. With over 25 years in the industry, our knowledgeable professionals specialize in commercial buildings, homes, apartment buildings, and more. Old or new, we can get it done! Contact our fully licensed and insured team today!