When was the last time you looked at your home from the street with unbiased eyes? We get so used to the exterior of our home, it’s sometimes easy to overlook aging, out-of-date styles, damage, or the lack of appeal. Imagine you’re going to sell your home and you’re looking at it with the eyes of a potential buyer. What do you notice? What turns you off? How does it look compared to other homes on the block or in the nearby housing market?
Whether you’re planning to sell your home or not, this is a good exercise for identifying care and updates your home may need. The fastest and best way to update your home’s exterior for curb appeal, cheaper utilities, and increased home value is to upgrade your siding to a more modern and eye-catching look. Today we’re sharing what we’ve learned about wood siding, which is growing in popularity once again. Read on and consider if wood siding is the right option for your home’s upgrade.
The siding of your home is often neglected but a critical part of our home’s style, tone, message, and defense. Over time the siding of your home takes a beating from snow, rain, heat, soccer balls, pests, water damage, and basic discoloration. Worn or damaged siding is not as effective at insulating your home and preventing heat gain or loss that you don’t want. Vinyl is a popular siding option, as well as stucco, brick, and stone. However, wood is another option that can fit your needs exactly.
Pros of Wood Siding
- Custom: wood siding can be easily customized to get the exact look you want. Thick or narrow slabs, any color, any stain, any type of wood or grain… it’s so easy to make your home stand out with a wood siding finish that is unique to your home and style. Do you want to lay it in a shiplap pattern? Tongue and groove? Board-and-batten? Shingle? There are so many ways to add wood siding, then customize further with painted colors, tones of stain, and choice of wood.
- Environmentally Friendly: unlike certain plastic products, wood siding is very environmentally friendly and renewable. It doesn’t cost too much or produces harmful chemicals to create slabs of wood siding, so it’s much easier on the environment than similar options.
- Durability: wood is incredibly durable, which is why we use it to build our homes. It responds well to the elements and can last the life of the home if maintained.
- Value: Because wood is considered a quality upgrade, adding wood siding will increase the value of your home for resale or refinancing. The added value can be critical if you’re looking to sell your home in a competitive market, or if the home is especially old or outdated. Even just adding wood siding to the visible portions of your home can make a huge difference without breaking the bank.
- DIY: If you’re particularly handy you can even consider adding wood siding by yourself. This is a complex and difficult job, so only undertake it if you’re very confident. Otherwise, call our experts at M&M Gutters for help.
When you’re ready for a home exterior upgrade, M&M is ready to create your dream home.